Zoning laws are complicated and nuanced. Good ones balance private interests with community needs.
We hosted a packed forum last year in response to the development boom in Beacon and the city’s resulting review of our zoning laws. Both the development and the zoning review continues, so it’s time to convene again.
The big pieces of rezoning still remaining:
- Protect 60+ historic structures in/around Main St (in addition to ones protected on either end of Main St).
- Revise the zoning adjacent to Main St for uses that fit residential behind Main.
- Totally revamp and simplify the permitted uses and setback tables for all zones.
- Revisit Linkage zoning for more ground floor commercial, et al.
During the meeting we’ll address:
- “Zoning 101” for brief background
- What zoning laws have been enacted in the past year
- Zoning laws still on the table
- What construction is currently occurring and under what zoning laws
- What construction is planned/potentially doable
- Lots of time for interactive discussion — you have questions, we’ll (hopefully) have answers
Come to this open meeting to discuss how zoning works, what the current zoning laws are, what proposed changes would do, etc. Ask your questions!
Longtime city council member Lee Kyriacou will facilitate the discussion — operating in this capacity as a private citizen. He’s invited all council members and planning and zoning board members to join in the discussion.
There’s no particular stance here, just open and honest information sharing.
We all have a stake in Beacon’s future.
Sponsored by BEAHIVE and concerned citizens
Sat, Dec 1, 2018 until Sat, Dec 1, 2018
10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
291 Main Street, Beacon, NY
Add this event to your calendar: iCal