At the most basic level, we provide a member-powered, creative work environment for entrepreneurs, the creative class of freelancers and consultants, and microbusinesses. But we’re more than that (see our vision below).
Why is BEAHIVE spelled funny? It’s a cute reference to Beacon, NY (BEA-HIVE, Bea-con…). The original BEAHIVE opened in May 2009 right in the heart of Beacon’s Main Street in an artisan-renovated 1907 Bell Telephone building.
WHAT IS COWORKING?
Quite simply, coworking is a new way to work. It has become a worldwide, paradigm-shifting movement in collaboration, where people work in a shared space, alone and together. We’re proud to have been pioneers in this movement, as we share its values of collaboration, openness, community, accessibility, and sustainability.
WHAT IS LOCALISM?
As our friends at BALLE so beautifully say it, “Localism is grounded in the belief that relationships matter, most. The way we interact with where we live — who we do business with — how we connect with people, other life, the land — all of it matters…. Localism is ultimately about building communities that are healthy, equitable and regenerative — backed by local economies that are stronger and more resilient.”
We’re more than a shared workspace. We’re a rich community of members with a desire to improve our professional and personal lives and our community.
We’re driven by the dream of vibrant, diverse and inclusive Hudson Valley communities — supported by an economy that is sustainable, locally rooted and human scale.
Read more ➞
- Freelancing is a force — and we need to reckon with it: Valley View (opinion) — Poughkeepsie Journal (12/18/17)
- Scott Tillitt: Founder of a Beacon coworking space (video profile) — Poughkeepsie Journal (11/15/17)
- Special Report: Shifting economy spurs new ways of working —Poughkeepsie Journal (11/15/17)
- Artist Housing Helps Revitalize Midtown Kingston, N.Y. — Affordable Housing Finance (10/29/15)
- Co-working Creatively — With A Social Conscience — Upmarket (6/23/12)
- A shared workspace of their own — Albany Times Union (3/20/12)
- Coworking Offices Abuzz With Independent Workers — Pacific Standard [fka Miller-McCune] (March-April 2012)
- Collaborate, Create, Cowork — Go Magazine (Aug 2011), AirTran Airways
- Coworking: Working Solo, But Not Alone — Planet Green (5/10/10)
- A new way to work — Hudson Valley Business Journal (7/13/09) [PDF]
- Lighting the Way: Beacon Brightens Up — Chronogram (May 2009), a monthly magazine about arts, culture and spirit in the Hudson Valley
- Community, Collaboration and Sustainability in Focus at First TEDxLongDock — Philipstown.info / The Paper (6/14/13)
- Lonely? Try a co-working space — Marketing and design / Albany Times Union (9/11/12)
- Beacon’s Buzz — Beacon Bits (7/26/12)
- Beahive buzzes away — Hudson Valley Business Review (5/24/12)
- Calling all local entrepreneurs! ‘BEAHIVE’ Now Open In Albany — WRGB CBS6 (3/28/12)
- Albany’s first coworking facility opens up — FOX23 (3/28/12)
- Albany broker unveils region’s first coworking facility — The Daily Gazette (Schenectady) (3/29/12)
- BEAHIVE shared office space opens in downtown Albany — The Business Review (3/28/12)
- Beahive Albany — All Over Albany (2/24/12)
- Work from home but sick of being home? Sneak peak [sic] Tracy Metzger’s new BEAHIVE workspace, downtown Albany — Moms@Work / Albany Times Union (2/20/12)
- What’s the Buzz on the New BEAHIVE? — The Free George (Feb 2012)
- BEAHIVE shared work space coming to downtown Albany — The Business Review (1/19/12)
- A coworking space for Albany, and an update for Troy — All Over Albany (1/19/12)
- Community Spirit of the BEAHIVE: A ‘cowork’ space is also a nucleus for assisting the region — Philipstown.info (1/14/11)
- High tech on the Hudson: Digital dynamos have turned Kingston into Brooklyn north — NY Daily News (12/17/10)
- Solo workers share ‘BEAHIVE’ — Poughkeepsie Journal (7/18/09) [PDF]
- Need workspace? Check out new facility in Beacon — Southern Dutchess Focus (7/18/09)
Our members and the community share what they love about us.
Read more ➞
PEOPLE + PARTNERS
PROGRAMS + PROJECTS
BEAHIVE is a community. Communities thrive when they work together, play together, share ideas, and — well — commune. Here are just a few things we’re doing or planning to inspire, educate and bond members — and ultimately, contribute to the larger community.
Read more ➞