Inspired by the coworking and localism movements, BEAHIVE is a pioneering space for work and community and possibilities — the first and only of our kind in the Hudson Valley, one of only a handful in all of NY, and one of probably only a few hundred in the world when we opened.
BEAHIVE is a place where entrepreneurs, creatives and techies mix with nonprofit leaders, activists and community organizers. At the most basic level, we provide a member-powered, creative workspace for entrepreneurs, freelancers, remote workers, consultants, and microbusinesses.
But we’re more than that (see our vision below). Since 2009 we’ve engaged thousands of denizens and dozens of community groups and nonprofits through membership, events and programs.
Why is BEAHIVE spelled funny?
It’s a cute reference to Beacon, NY (Bea-hive, Bea-con…). The original BEAHIVE opened in 2009 in the heart of Beacon’s Main Street in the artisan-renovated 1907 Telephone Building.
Over the years we’ve swarmed additional hives in several Hudson Valley communities and more are being planned.
WHAT IS COWORKING?
Quite simply, coworking is a new way to work. It has become a worldwide, paradigm-shifting movement in collaboration, where people work in a shared space, alone and together. We’re proud to have been pioneers in this movement, as we share its values of collaboration, openness, community, accessibility, and sustainability.
WHAT IS LOCALISM?
As our friends at Common Future (fka BALLE) so beautifully say it, “Localism is grounded in the belief that relationships matter, most. The way we interact with where we live — who we do business with — how we connect with people, other life, the land — all of it matters…. Localism is ultimately about building communities that are healthy, equitable and regenerative — backed by local economies that are stronger and more resilient.”
We’re more than a shared workspace. We’re a rich community of members with a desire to improve our professional and personal lives and our community.
We’re driven by the dream of vibrant, diverse and inclusive Hudson Valley communities — supported by a Main Street economy that is sustainable, locally rooted and human scale.
PROGRAMS + PROJECTS
BEAHIVE is a community. Communities thrive when they work together, play together, share ideas, and — well — commune. Here are just a few things we’re doing or planning to inspire, educate and bond members — and ultimately, contribute to the larger community.
PEOPLE + PARTNERS
Scott Tillitt founded BEAHIVE in Beacon. We’ve partnered with others to populate hives in other cities.
Our members and the community share what they love about us.
- A Historic Newburgh Factory Transforms Into a Sleek Mixed-Use Apartment Hub — Hudson Valley Magazine (1/15/20)
- Living on the Edge: The Gig Economy — Highlands Current (8/9/19)
- 6 Hudson Valley Coworking Spaces — Chronogram (3/20/19)
- Be Productive and Meet Friends at Local Coworking Spaces — Hudson Valley Magazine (9/6/18)
- Freelancing is a force — and we need to reckon with it: Valley View (opinion) — Poughkeepsie Journal (12/18/17)
- Scott Tillitt: Founder of a Beacon coworking space (video profile) — Poughkeepsie Journal (11/15/17)
- Special Report: Shifting economy spurs new ways of working — Poughkeepsie Journal (11/15/17)
- How to Thrive on Main — Highlands Current (10/6/17)
- Artist Housing Helps Revitalize Midtown Kingston, N.Y. — Affordable Housing Finance (10/29/15)
- Community, Collaboration and Sustainability in Focus at First TEDxLongDock — Highlands Current (6/4/13)
- A shared workspace of their own — Albany Times Union (3/20/12)
- Coworking Offices Abuzz With Independent Workers — Pacific Standard [fka Miller-McCune] (March-April 2012)
- Collaborate, Create, Cowork — Go Magazine (Aug 2011), AirTran Airways
- A new way to work — Hudson Valley Business Journal (7/13/09)
- Lighting the Way: Beacon Brightens Up — Chronogram (May 2009)
- New idea, new spaces: Coworking takes off in Albany — Albany Business Review (10/12/18)
- Lonely? Try a co-working space — Marketing and design / Albany Times Union (9/11/12)
- Beacon’s Buzz — Beacon Bits (7/26/12)
- Co-working Creatively — With A Social Conscience — Upmarket (6/23/12)
- Beahive buzzes away — Hudson Valley Business Review (5/24/12)
- Calling all local entrepreneurs! ‘BEAHIVE’ Now Open In Albany — WRGB CBS6 (3/28/12)
- Albany’s first coworking facility opens up — FOX23 (3/28/12)
- Albany broker unveils region’s first coworking facility — The Daily Gazette (Schenectady) (3/29/12)
- BEAHIVE shared office space opens in downtown Albany — The Business Review (3/28/12)
- Beahive Albany — All Over Albany (2/24/12)
- Work from home but sick of being home? Sneak peak [sic] Tracy Metzger’s new BEAHIVE workspace, downtown Albany — Moms@Work / Albany Times Union (2/20/12)
- What’s the Buzz on the New BEAHIVE? — The Free George (Feb 2012)
- BEAHIVE shared work space coming to downtown Albany — The Business Review (1/19/12)
- A coworking space for Albany, and an update for Troy — All Over Albany (1/19/12)
- Community Spirit of the BEAHIVE: A ‘cowork’ space is also a nucleus for assisting the region — Highlands Current [fka Philipstown.info] (1/14/11)
- High tech on the Hudson: Digital dynamos have turned Kingston into Brooklyn north — NY Daily News (12/17/10)
- Coworking: Working Solo, But Not Alone — Planet Green (5/10/10)
- Solo workers share ‘BEAHIVE’ — Poughkeepsie Journal (7/18/09)
- Need workspace? Check out new facility in Beacon — Southern Dutchess Focus (7/18/09)